Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Thomas Hobbes and some thoughts.

Leisure is the mother of philosophy. - Thomas Hobbes

Thomas Hobbes is a philosopher that I like a lot. The title of my blog is stemmed from his primary work, The Leviathan. This quote particularly speaks to me because it relates to my life in so many many ways.
I would love to consider myself a philosopher. I think every philosophy student would. However, I lack what Hobbes says is the mother of philosophy: Leisure. And even if I had leisure I wouldn't be able to philosophize. (Yes, I made philosophy a verb there.) If I had leisure I would use it to sleep.
I still think that I might be able to philosophize. Maybe not today, but I can keep trying. But if leisure is the mother of philosophy, and I'm never going to have leisure time, then perhaps I'm never going to be able to philosophize.

Dammit.

~Lisa

There is no order in the world around us, we must adapt ourselves to be the requirements of chaos instead. It is hard to adapt to chaos, but it can be done. I am living proof of that: it can be done. - Kurt Vonnegut

No comments: