Monday, April 14, 2008

Chuang Tzu and some thoughts.

The fish trap exists because of the fish. Once you’ve gotten the fish you can forget the trap. The rabbit snare exists because of the rabbit. Once you’ve gotten the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words exist because of meaning. Once you’ve gotten the meaning, you can forget the words. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words so I can talk with him? - Chuang Tzu

I like this quote because it sort of relates to our conversations in class last week regarding patriotism. I especially like the "Once you've gotten the meaning, you can forget the words." I like it because it implies that all the things that we have words for are things that we still haven't "gotten." The question at the end is what makes it for me, though. Most people want to carry on conversations with people who know words, who know as many words as we do. But if a man (or person) has forgotten words, then that means that they "get" things. And perhaps they could help us "get" things too.

When it comes to patriotism, we clearly don't get it. Jensen alone with the various definitions of patriotism proved that we don't understand the meaning. We cannot forget the word because we do not understand the meaning. We don't get it. Perhaps we should try, but how?

Get it?

~Lisa

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can’t see from the center. - Kurt Vonnegut

No comments: